Labour Party Events: due to Covid-19 Emergency, online meetings only
A number of events/ meeting occur on a monthly basis. They are free and open to members of the Labour Party
- CLP (Constituency Labour Party) Meetings of Holborn & St Pancras Labour Party are held on the fourth Tuesday of the month. There are no CLP Meetings in August and in the month before elections. CLP meetings are open only to Labour Party members who are registered in Holborn & St Pancras and are for conducting Labour Party business. The meetings usually include a report from the Leader of Camden Council, Georgia Gould, and the MP of Holborn & St Pancras, Keir Starmer, and sometimes have a speaker. All members can attend but only GC Delegates have voting right.
- Branch Meetings in Holborn & St Pancras usually take place on the second Tuesday of the month. Some branches occasionally hold branch meetings on a Saturday morning but these are widely publicised. Branch meetings are open only to Labour Party members of the branch.
- CLP AGM – the Annual General Meeting of Holborn & St Pancras CLP is usually held in November. This is when the CLP Officers are elected.
- Branch AGM – most branches have their AGMs in October. This is when Branch Officers and GC delegates are elected.
- Highgate Branch PEO Meetings – the Political Education Officer (PEO) of Highgate Branch, Richard Kuper, holds regular talks that are open to the public and free to attend. They usually consist of a speaker and are followed by a Q&A session and are held on the first Wednesday of the month at HLCCC, NW5. The details for the next event are given below.
- Camden Momentum Meetings are held on the second Monday of the month. They are open to members of Momentum. Some meetings, with speakers on a particular topic, are open to the public. Details of Public Meetings will be given below.
- Active members of the party may organise events hosted by their branches, the CLP or other groups or organisations that support the Labour Party with it’s socialist agenda. Details of some of these events will be given below. If you want more info, or want to find out about any other events we have organised, drop us a line and we will be answer your quieries.
Next Camden Momentum Meeting
Momentum AGM was held on February 10th.
Upcoming PEO Meetings
As you will be aware, we have had to suspend our highly successful face-to-face lecture and discussion series but we are trying out a new way of keeping the discussion going using the internet. To start this off we are organising a lecture and discussion on Making Sense of the Crisis led by John Palmer, former European Editor of The Guardian and former Political Director, European Policy Centre in Brussels.
We will use the online video conferencing platform, Zoom, to do this. You don’t need any specialist software on your computer, tablet or phone to join the event. To sign up for the event, please click here.
This will take you to the Eventbrite listing. You then just register for the event for free. Once you have done this we will send you a link by email. All you have to do is to click on that link just before the event to join it. That’s all there is to it!
The event will go from 7.30pm to 9pm on Tuesday 7th April.
Branch members will have priority to register Friday 3th Apr evening, after which other Labour party branches will be circulated as well.
Anna Coote on New proposals for universal basic services (UBS)
Anna Coote, Principal Fellow at the New Economics Foundation, and co-author of Universal Basic Services: Theory and Practice, (IGP/UCL 2019), argues that UBS brings substantial benefits – in terms of equity, efficiency, solidarity and sustainability – and should be developed as a priority by a new progressive government.
Well attended with discussions and debate.
Weds 5th February, David Renton on The New Far Right
David Renton is a historian and barrister, author of the recent The New Authoritarians: Convergence on the Right, focusing on the U.S, UK and France.
Tuesday 14th October, Sue Branford on Bolsanaro’s Brazil
Sue Branford, a former Latin America editor at the BBC, has reported on Brazil for most of her professional life. She has published five books on Brazil, including two on Thea Amazon.
Highgate Branch Event
Hosted by Shezan Renny, BAME Officer, Highgate Branch, Holborn & St Pancras Labour Party. The venue was packed, it was a success! We raised just over £200 and it was donated to the Windrush Fund on behalf of Highgate Branch.